Sunday, September 16, 2007

Homer Simpson's Beer Song

Beer is Homer Simpson's favourite drink. Enjoy Homer's hymn to beer sung to the music of Bizet's Toreador. Good listening practice while you learn some drinking vocabulary.

Caution: Use carefully and at your own risk!


What is the malted liquor.(beer) What gets you drunker quicker?
What comes in bottles or in cans?(beer) Can't get enough of it,(beer)
How we really love it,(beer) Makes me think I'm a man,(beer)
I can kiss and hug it,(beer) But I'd rather chug it,(beer)
Fill my belly up to here,(beer) I could not refuse a,(beer)
I could really use a,(beer) Beer, beer, beer.

I can't remember how much I have had,
I drank a twelve pack with my dad, BURP!
That's my son the drunken manly stud,
I'm proud to be his bud, Here have some pretzels,
No! I'll call it quits, Those things give me the Schlitz!

Drink with your family, Drink it with your friends,
Drink till you're fat, Stomach distends,
Beer is liquid bread it's good for you,
We like to drink till we spew, EW
Who cares if we get fat, I'll drink to that,
As we sing once more.

What is the malted liquor, What gets you drunker quicker,
What comes in bottles or in cans (beer) Can't get enough of it,(beer)
How we really love it,(beer) Makes me think I'm a man,(beer)
I can kiss and hug it,(beer) But I'd rather chug it,(beer)
Fill my belly up to here,(beer) Golly I adore it,(beer)
Come on dammit pour it, Do it for me,
Brew it for me, Feed it to me, Speed it to me.(beer)

The most wonderful drink in the world. Hooray!!!

7 comments:

Susana said...

Hi everybody, Hi Ferran,
I'm back.
How did the holidays go? I'm happy they're almost finished. I look forward to start my german classes, I've registered today. I'll go on Mon., Wed., Fri. 7 to 9 P.M. and hope to see some of you at the corridor or at the canteen.

Ferran, has the right column at the blog desapear or is there a problem with my computer?

I need the right column, I miss the dictionaries and your photo. In fact I was going to ask you some tools for the german language, i.e. some pronunciation exercises like the one we had in english (the one you wrote the word and it read the word for you)

Are old students allowed to enter in the blog or is it meant for your new students?

I have a bottle opener that sings this song. You hear Homer singing as you open the bottle.

See you soon,
Bye,

Susana

Ferran said...

Hi Susana, welcome back!!!

Great to have you again at the EOI, even if it's in German classes!

For the right column, try refreshing the page (reloading). It's so nice to hear that you miss my photo!

Concerning German pronunciation, there's a useful German-English- Spanish dictionary with German and English pronunciation, plus other utilities at:
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Try it and tell me what you think!

A nice, comprehensive German pronunciation guide, including tongue-twisters and many examples:
http://www.utils.ex.ac.uk/german/pronounce/

Another one, very systematic (including video animation!):
http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Eacadtech/phonetics/#

A little one (Real Player needed):
http://www.wm.edu/modlang/gasmit/pronunciation/pronunce.htm

In a few months you'll be mastering German pronunciation!

Last but not least, you're an honourable member of our blog, so you're always welcome. The blog could not do without your wise comments!

See you around,

Ferran
PS> A singing Homer-Simpson bottle opener, that's something!!!

Susana said...

As usual: ¡¡A BIG THANK YOU!!

See you soon,
Susana

Susana said...

Hi Ferran,

I've been trying the dictionaries and the three first go well but the address of the last one is not correct (something missing at the end)http://www.wm.edu/modlang/gasmit/pronunciation/pro
I can see the William and Mary's web, searching with google, but I cannot find the dictionary.
Could you please help?
Thanks.

Susana

Ferran said...

Hi Susana,

you're welcome!

Here´s the last bit of the missing link (the invisible part):

/pronunce.htm

Just append it after "pronunciation/"

Cheers,

Ferran

Carmen Hidalgo La Patóloga said...

Thank you Ferran for "The beer song". It has been great.
See you soon (17th October?)
Carmen Hidalgo

Ferran said...

Hi Carmen,

glad you enjoyed it!

See you at the EOI,

Ferran