Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Fawlty Towers: Communication Problems

Enjoy a very short scene of Fawlty Towers, one of the best sitcoms ever made.

From the episode Communication Problems
A troublesome guest, Mrs. Richards, causes problems when she refuses to turn her hearing-aid on. The situation gets only worse when she attempts to convey her requirements to Manuel, the language-challenged Spanish waiter. What follows is a masterpiece of interlanguage confusion.

Mrs Richards: Is there anyone else in attendance here? Really, this is the most appalling service I've ever h...
Polly: Good idea! Manuel, could you lend Mrs Richards your assistance in connection with her reservation?
Manuel looks puzzled
Mrs Richards: Now, I've reserved a very quiet room, with a bath and a sea view. I specifically asked for a sea view in my written confirmation, so please make sure I have it.
Manuel: Qué?
Mrs. Richards: What?
Manuel: Qué?
Mrs. Richards: K?
Manuel: Sí.
Mrs. Richards: C? K.C.? K.C.? What are you trying to say?
Manuel: No, no, no, no. Qué, "what."
Mrs. Richards: K. Watt?
Manuel: Sí, qué, "what."
Mrs. Richards: C. K. Watt?
Manuel: Yes!
Mrs. Richards: Who is C. K. Watt?
Manuel: Qué?
Mrs.Richards: Is he the manager, Mr. Watt?
Manuel: Oh! Manajer!
Mrs. Richards: He is?
Manuel: Ah! Mr. Fawlty!
Mrs. Richards: What?
Manuel: Fawlty!
Mrs. Richards: What are you talking about, you silly little man? (to Polly) What is going on here? I ask him for my room and he tells me the manager is a Mr. Watt, aged forty.
Manuel: No, no, no, Fawlty.
Mrs. Richards: Faulty? What's wrong with him?

2 comments:

Susana said...

Manuel is very good,
I used to see this series many years ago in England, and all our customers were saying "que" all the time.
Do they still show Fawlty Towers on the TV?
Enjoy it!
Bye,

Ferran said...

Hi Susana! I know they've shown Fawlty Towers on Catalan TV a couple times (although in the dubbed version Manuel didn't come from Barcelona, but from Rome), but now I don't think they do. This is for me the best sitcom ever, a prime example of British humour at its best. Unfortunately it only ran for twelve episodes.